Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is a free and open-source encoder for video recording, screencasting, and live streaming. It’s suitable for video game streaming, blogging, educational content, and more.
OBS links your device (a laptop or a PC) and different streaming platforms (Gcore Streaming Platform, YouTube, Twitch, etc.). It takes an image captured by a camera, converts it into a video stream, and then sends it to the streaming platform.
1. Download Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) from the official website and install it.
2. Open the Settings section and go to the Stream tab. Complete the remaining steps in it.
3. Select Custom from the dropdown list.
4. Enter the Server URL into the Server field and the unique key into the Stream Key field. To get the Server URL and key, go to the Streaming list, open the Live stream settings you need, and copy the relevant value from the URLs for the encoder section.
For example, if you see these values on the Live stream settings page:
paste them to the OBS Settings as follows:
5. Click the Apply button to save the new configuration.
6. Go to the main OBS menu, select the source of the stream (video capture device, display capture, etc.), and click Start Streaming.
7. Once the streaming has started, go to the Streaming list, open the Live Stream settings, and copy the link to embed the broadcast to your website.
That’s it. The stream from OBS will be broadcast to your website.
It’s recommended to configure the stream parameters you’ll send to our server. You can do this in the Output, Audio, and Video OBS tabs.
1. Open OBS Settings and go to the Output tab. Select ‘Simple’ mode.
2. Set the parameters:
3. Select ‘Advanced’ mode.
4. Set the parameters:
5. Click Apply to save the configuration.
1. Open OBS Settings and go to the Audio tab.
2. Set the Sample Rate to 48 kHz and Stereo.
3. Click Apply.
1. Open OBS Settings and go to the Video tab.
2. Set the following parameters:
3. Click Apply.
Hints. If you want to use 1920×1080 resolution, it’s better to set the Video Bitrate parameter at 4000 Kbps (instead of 2000 Kbps) in the Output tab. If you need to increase FPS to 60, set the Video Bitrate to 8000 Kbps.
For Base (Canvas) Resolution, 1920×1080 stream will be transcoded in 3 qualities: 720p, 480p, and 240p.
Was this article helpful?
Explore the Streaming Platform by Gcore