Media & Entertainment
In this guide, we will delve into the steps required to install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 22.04, a popular choice for running multiple operating systems on a single machine.
Oracle VM VirtualBox, a free software virtualization tool, empowers you to create and manage multiple virtual machines. It’s an ideal solution for Linux users interested in running different operating systems without the need for additional physical resources. A significant advantage of VirtualBox is its ability to effortlessly switch between operating systems without rebooting your device, which can contribute to considerable hardware cost savings.
1. Update your system’s package cache. This command refreshes the list of available packages and their versions from the repositories configured on your system:
sudo apt update
2. Import VirtualBox package repositories keys. These commands download Oracle’s public keys and add them to your system’s list of trusted keys. These keys are used to verify the integrity of the packages you download from Oracle’s repositories:
$ curl https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc | gpg --dearmor > oracle_vbox_2016.gpg $ curl https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc | gpg --dearmor > oracle_vbox.gpg $ sudo install -o root -g root -m 644 oracle_vbox_2016.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ $ sudo install -o root -g root -m 644 oracle_vbox.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
3. Add the VirtualBox repository. This command adds Oracle’s VirtualBox repository to your system’s list of repositories.:
echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
4. Install VirtualBox and its required dependencies with these commands:
sudo apt update sudo apt install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) dkms sudo apt install virtualbox-7.0 -y
5. (Optional) For enhanced functionality such as USB 2.0 and 3.0 support, PXE boot for Intel network cards, disk encryption, and VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), consider installing the VirtualBox Extension Pack. Here’s how you can download and install it:
wget https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/7.0.0/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.0.vbox-extpack sudo VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.0.vbox-extpack
Note: Replace “7.0” with the latest version of VirtualBox when you’re installing it.
Once the installation is complete, you’re all set to explore the versatility of VirtualBox on Ubuntu 22.04.
Error 404 is an HTTP status code that signifies a server’s inability to retrieve requested web content due to various…
Managing processes in a server environment can be a daunting task, but tools like Supervisor make it easier. Supervisor is…
Understanding and modifying a Linux system’s Time to Live (TTL) values can significantly enhance your network’s efficiency and reliability. The…