The needs and requirements of viewers are always growing. Viewers have come to expect high-quality video streams and low-latency broadcasts, whether for live sports betting, hosting virtual events such as webinars or conferences, recording online bids, or social media livestreaming. The biggest challenge of the video streaming industry today is delivering high-quality, low-latency broadcasts at scale.
Gcore recognizes the trends and needs of the video industry and is further improving its services on an ongoing basis. Gcore’s latest progress towards this goal is that our CDN is HESP-ready.
Gcore Presents HESP-Based Workflows
Gcore’s CDN has successfully passed the HESP Alliance verification process and can now distribute HESP-based workflows across its global CDN PoPs, delivering high-quality, real-time video while scaling to millions of viewers. Gcore supports other HESP benefits, such as fast channel change, which is important for leanback TV and multiview experiences.
Gcore’s streaming infrastructure is equipped to handle the demands of large-scale video delivery, ensuring that your users always receive seamless, high-quality video content. Whether you’re building a video sharing platform, a virtual event service, or a video-on-demand app, our technology is versatile and adaptable to your needs.
Who Benefits from Gcore HESP-Based Workflows?
Everyone who uses video broadcast can benefit from Gcore’s new HESP-based workflows, from developers or small-scale startups to large enterprises. Many businesses strive to minimize latency and optimize costs when it comes to video broadcasts, and this new product is an answer to such challenges. The following industries in particular stand to benefit:
- Esports and gaming: Via HESP-based workflows, we can deliver video content to end users faster than standard HLS or MPEG-DASH protocols. This is ideal for the fast-paced and dynamic world of esports and gaming.
- Sports: With HESP-based workflows, sports events can be streamed in near real-time and even faster than on TV, making it perfect for broadcasting sports events.
- Auctions and online casinos: It’s essential to minimize delays and maintain high video quality in these industries to give viewers a close, real-time look at what’s happening. HESP can help to achieve this at a comparatively low cost.
- Online education: Interactive events with large audiences can be held without any scalability, interaction, or bandwidth restrictions. No expensive external applications are required, making HESP ideal for online learning.
- Telemedicine: HESP ensures that doctors can communicate with a large audience without requiring third-party applications, which can help to reduce costs significantly in the telemedicine industry.
- OTT and TV broadcasting: Combining IPTV and OTT solutions at the highest quality.
Higher Quality at a Lower Cost
HESP excels in delivering real-time streaming at scale, including for events with big audiences of over one million simultaneous viewers around the globe. As HESP is an HTTP-based protocol, it can scale over standard CDNs (now including Gcore’s CDN) with global points-of-presence to deliver real-time video worldwide.
Contrast this with WebRTC based scaling, where each client requires a persistent connection with the back end, and scaling takes place through spinning up additional server instances, which is complex and expensive. On average HESP-based streaming is 2-5 times more cost effective than WebRTC-based streaming.
HESP also provides for a higher viewer quality of experience, thanks to its fast channel change capabilities and TCP delivery. The latter makes sure that there are no frame drops, something which can occur with UDP delivery through WebRTC.